On November 2, 2020 at the S. Seifullin Kazakh Agro Technical University (hereinafter - KATU), a new online course "Economics of the Agricultural Sector" was officially opened for students participating in the academic mobility program of the "International School of Economics and Management", organized as part of the action plan of the Central Asia and South Caucasus Consortium of Agricultural universities for Development (CASCAD).
The opening ceremony of the online course at KATU was held on the ZOOM platform, moderated by the director of the Center for the Development of International Cooperation and Multilingual Education in KATU – Saltanat A. Meiramova.
The solemn ceremony was opened by the Chairman of the Board of the NCJSC “S. Seifullin Kazakh Agrotechnical University”, Doctor of Economics Kairat Kaparovich Aituganov.
Further, representatives of 15 universities - participants of the CASCAD from 8 CIS countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Georgia and Turkmenistan) made a welcoming speech, namely:
- Ministry of Trade and Integration of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Deputy General Director of the Center for Trade Policy, Practitioner - Specialist in the field of agricultural economics Nurlan Nayzabekovich Kulbatyrov
- Tajik Agrarian University named after Shirinsho Shotemur, vice-rector of international relations - Bobokhonova Zebinisso Karaevna
- Samarkand State University, Vice-Rector, Professor Mukhtor Gaffarovich Nosirov
- Kyrgyz National University, Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Information Systems - Zhumaliev Turgunbek Zholdoshalievich
- Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Melioration of the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, Director of the EcoGIS Center, Executive Secretary of the Central Asia and South Caucasus Consortium of Agricultural universities for Development, Professor Pulatov Alim Salimovich
- Kostanay Engineering and Economic University named after M. Dulatov, Head of the Center for International Cooperation and Implementation of Projects - Gabbasova Zhanat Galimzhanovna
- Seifullin Kazakh Agrotechnical University, Dean of the Faculty of Economics, Doctor of Economics, Professor - Pyagay Alexander Anatolyevich
- Kazakh National Agrarian Research University, head of the department "Management and organization of agribusiness" - Esengazieva Saule Kopeshevna
- Kostanay Regional University named after A. Baitursynov, Acting Head of the Department of International Cooperation and Recruiting of Foreign Students, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences Kandalina Elena Mikhailovna.
Official speeches of representatives of partner universities ended with student impressions and opinions about the International School of Economics and Management as well as a new knowledge they received during online classes within the framework of academic mobility.
During the discussion and exchange of views, the participants of the meeting proposed several initiatives regarding the work on the implementation of joint scientific research, increasing joint publication activity in order to increase the international rating of universities-CASCAD participants.
It is noted that wide cooperation with leading agricultural universities - CASCAD partners assumes targeted stimulation of publication activity in journals recommended by authorized bodies of partner universities, as well as an increase in the level of requirements for scientists for joint research.
In conclusion, partner participants highlighted the increasing popularity and relevance of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) during the global COVID-19 pandemic.
In this regard, an opinion about an attempt to develop a jointly unified course was expressed, since MOOC leads to the development of a global market for online education, and enables students to get free access to international educational Internet resources for additional self-education.